Hollywood actor Johnny Depp has claimed that he has been a victim of “cancel culture”, and stated that “nobody is safe” from the movement.
“It’s so far out of hand now that I can promise you that no one is safe. Not one of you. No one out that door. It takes one sentence, and there’s no more ground; the carpet has been pulled,” said Depp at the San Sebastian Film Festival. The actor further added, “It’s not just me that this has happened to, it’s happened to a lot of people. This type of thing has happened to women, men. Sadly, at a certain point, they begin to think that it’s normal. Or that it’s them. When it’s not.”
“It can be seen as an event in history that lasted for however long it lasted, this cancel culture, this instant rush to judgment based on what essentially amounts to polluted air,” he stated ahead of receiving the honor.
He also referred to a vicious court battle he lost against the British tabloid over being labeled a “wife-beater”, which many believe, led to his exit from the Fantastic Beasts 3 – the multimillion film franchise from Warner Bros. Depp also has a USD 50 million defamation lawsuit against former wife Amber Heard slated to go to trial in the US next year. “It doesn’t matter if a judgment, per se, has taken some artistic license. When there’s an injustice, whether it’s against you or someone you love, or someone you believe in – stand up, don’t sit down. Cause they need you,” he commented on what seemed to be a hint towards his legal troubles.
The Edward Scissorhands actor also confessed that he was “worried” his appearance at the festival “would offend people”. Depp later praised the organizers and the event for their undying support and said, “Thank you for not buying what has been, for way too long, some notion of me that doesn’t exist.”
The San Sebastian Film Festival, hosted in Northern Spain, will conclude on Saturday.