A healthy liver is important for the proper functioning of the body. You often don’t realize the importance of the liver and most of the time ignore the early symptoms of an unhealthy liver. The liver plays a key role in the functioning of the digestive system. So, the right treatment and proper care can keep the liver functioning well. Let’s learn about the healthy liver signs, healthy liver foods and everything that will keep the liver healthy and strong.
If you want to know how to keep your liver healthy, you need to go to the root cause of the problem. The functions of the liver are many, from cleaning the blood to producing bile to breaking down of food. It also stores glucose to boost the body with energy when needed. Taking care of the liver is no rocket science. We just have to check our lifestyle and keep in mind that our food intake for a healthy body is properly taken care of.
Let’s find out the 10 Ways to a Healthy Liver and learn how to keep it healthy –
- Alcohol is a no-no – if you’re a heavy drinker, your liver is in danger. Alcohol can really damage your liver. It damages liver cells and leads to the swelling of the liver which in turn leads to the deadly cirrhosis.
- Exercise can be your saviour – exercise can do wonders to your body let alone the health of the liver. It will keep your body weight under control and keep fat away from your liver. It can be considered as one of the five essential tips for a healthy liver.
- Proper diet – a proper diet can improve the health of your liver and avoid the accumulation of fat.
- Avoid toxins – toxins injure liver cells, hence, is it advised to limit direct contact with toxins like aerosol products, insecticides, chemicals, and additives. This too can be considered as one of the 5 tips to maintain a healthy liver.
- Say no to drugs – illicit drugs can harm the liver in many ways. Drugs including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants, or prescription-type psychotherapeutics (pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants, and sedatives) can immensely affect the liver.
- Avoid contaminated needles – using used needles can contaminate the blood and can cause liver damage. Skin penetration with these needles can cause serious injury to your skin.
- Get medical attention if you’re exposed to blood – if for any reason you are exposed to blood or come to contact with anyone’s blood, contact a doctor immediately as diseased blood can come in contact with your blood and cause a health hazard.
- Maintain personal hygiene – don’t share your personal items like razor, toothbrushes and nail clippers with anyone as sharing those items can exchange body fluids with others and can further cause damage.
- Practice safe sex – unprotected sex with multiple partners can lead to hepatitis B and hepatitis C.
- Wash your hands – washing hands is very essential for the overall health. Use soap and warm water after using the washroom or when the hands get messy. Make sure to keep a sanitizer with you at all times.
- Vaccination – there are many vaccinations for hepatitis A and hepatitis B. So get vaccinated as soon as possible.
Ways To A Healthy Liver
- Drink coffee – coffee drinkers are in lower risk of getting liver diseases including cancer and scarring (fibrosis, cirrhosis). Proper exercise, proper diet with sufficient amount of coffee can work wonders. It can lead to visible healthy liver symptoms.
- Take your medicines properly – speak to your doctor if you feel tired, nauseous, or itchy or if you notice yellowish skin or eyes (jaundice) after you start a new medicine.
- Proper supplements – the right supplements can save you from liver damage.
- Avoid alcohol – avoiding alcohol can prevent the liver from being fatty. A fatty liver can lead to various kinds of fatty liver diseases. Avoiding or curbing the intake of alcohol can be considered as a healthy liver sign.
Healthy Liver Foods
Some of the foods that can do wonders to the livers are –
- Oatmeal – consuming oatmeal can add fibre to the diet which will ease the process of digestion.
- Green tea – It can break down fat content in the body and fight against oxidative stress and reduce the sings of NAFLD.
- Garlic – It works wonders when it comes to the liver. Garlic consumption reduces body weight. It can be called as healthy liver food.
- Berries – blueberries, raspberries and cranberries contain antioxidants which help boost the immune system.
- Grapefruit – they help protect the liver from inflammation and also protect the liver cells.
- Fatty fish – fish are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which are good fats. They help in reducing inflammation.
- Nuts – eating nuts can be another way to prevent NAFLD.
- Olive oil – olive oil may help reduce oxidative stress and help in reducing inflammation.
Healthy Liver Vs Fatty Liver
What are the causes of fatty liver? Well to speak of, there are many reasons. But the main reasons that contribute to fatty liver are:
- Obesity – it’s said 30-90% of obese adults have NAFLD and it is also spreading in children due to childhood obesity.
- Belly fat – too much fat around the waist can also cause fatty liver which is not a healthy liver at all. Too much fat in the belly can cause the liver to accumulate fat at an early age. We can easily distinguish between a healthy liver and a fatty liver by these symptoms.
- Insulin resistance – insulin resistance has been said to trigger liver fat in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Carbs is a big no – high intake of carbs can also accelerate the growth of liver fat leading from a healthy liver to a fatty liver.
- Sugary beverages – beverages sweetened with sugar like sodas and energy drinks which are high in fructose drive fat accumulation in the liver.
- Impaired gut health – research suggests that having imbalance in the gut bacteria may contribute to the development of NAFLD.
Symptoms of fatty liver
- Fatigue and weakness
- Slight pain or fullness in the right or center abdominal area
- Elevated levels of liver enzymes, including AST and ALT
- Elevated insulin levels
- Elevated triglyceride levels
When liver fat triggers NASH, the following symptoms are visible –
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Moderate to severe abdominal pain
- Yellowing of eyes and skin
The liver plays a crucial role in the body. While the body’s immune system fights the harmful entities, a healthy lifestyle can really help reduce the risk of fatty liver. Although there are various ways by which we can keep our liver healthy, following some general rules can go a long way. We can easily distinguish between a healthy liver and a fatty liver if we’re cautious about our lifestyle. So, make a change today!
#healthyliver #health #liver #nash24x7 #nonalcoholicfattyliverdisease