Spondylosis refers to the wear and tear of the vertebral column. It is usually an age-related disorder. The Lumbar refers to the lower back region of the body. When there is a presence of damage in the vertebral column which is present in the lower back part of the body, it is called Lumbar Spondylosis. In this condition, the formation of bone spurs occurs that may degenerate the spine. This condition requires the medical attention as if left untreated; this may cause chronic pain and sometimes even neurological disorders. Ayurveda is the best and safest solution as naturally aided treatment will benefit the body marvelously. It will not only strengthen the bones, but will also prevent them from further erosion. Food plays an important role in shaping the body. Whatever we eat and avoid impacts our health. It has the potential to make the body healthy and at the same time, it can worsen the situation and already existing conditions. One must eat healthy to stay fit and disease-free. Some of the food items that must be avoided to keep the check on the pain and discomfort caused due to Lumbar spondylosis that is shared by Dr. Mukesh Sharda, founder of Dr. Sharda Ayurveda are:
- Processed sugar and salt: The excess of processed sugar and saltmakes the body unhealthy and at the same time it helps you in gaining the extra weight. This extra weight will put your spine at the risk of more damage. Avoid it; instead have jaggery or dates as a form of sugar substitute and rock/pink salt as a substitute for processed salt.
- Junk foods: Processed foods, instant foods, oily, sticky foods, foods rich in saturated fats and junk food articles that are spicy must be avoided as they pose a risk for you to gain weight and also increases the cholesterol and blood pressure levels. These foods are not good for spinal health as they may lead to the degeneration of the spine.
- Non-vegetarian diet: The plant-based diet must be consumed rather than non vegetarian diet. The animal diet is quite heavy for the body to digest when compared with the vegetarian diet.
- Caffeine and carbonated drinks: The caffeine must be not consumed as it triggers the symptoms and may also cause inflammation in the spinal area. Carbonated fizzy drinks must be excluded from the diet as they worsen the already existing conditions.
- Dairy products: As the body is already dealing with the wear and tear of the vertebrae, it cannot take more loads of dairy products. As these food products are heavy to digestthey should be avoided.
- Substance abuse: Any kind of drug, alcohol, smoking, and tobacco should not be taken as no doubt they may be the best coping mechanisms but they push the body towards something which is very difficult to heal.
- Wheat and gluten: The wheat and the gluten protein increase the inflammation. So they should be avoided. Have the other substitutes like poha, porridge, semolina, barley, or pearl millet.
- Stale food:The regular consumption of stale food will put you in danger. Have fresh food items.
- Excess usage of pulses:The excess of protein in the diet will make the situation worse. Limit its consumption.